Wednesday, April 29, 2009

How the Economy Affected the Quongs

So the economy stinks. It's been spiraling downhill for awhile and things are pretty bad. But really the only effect on us was that I lost some money in my 401K. Nothing huge. Obviously there are a lot of people out there suffering much more than we are. I didn't really feel like we'd really been affected. Until this.
Tyler's restaurant, La Vigna, closed. Without warning. Not even kidding, we found out on facebook. After the shift one Saturday night they said, "That's it. We're closing our doors". And that was it! No one had preparation or warning or time to look for another job. Not even the general manager knew it was coming. The owner just shut up shop.
We knew that La Vigna was having a hard time making it and they were struggling. They'd made as many cut backs as they could, but we didn't think they'd close for at least another few months. They'd been barely hanging on for awhile. BUT STILL. La Vigna just closed. Done, gone, no warning, and they didn't even call their employees to tell them. I'm just glad we found out before Tyler drove over to work his Monday night shift.
Thank goodness I have a good job and we'll be alright. But what craziness. Tyler is currently job hunting so if you hear of any awesome design jobs, let us know!

10 comments:

Wesley Family said...

That really stinks! It is scary how bad things are.

Amy Jane said...

Oh man! When you said the other day that he didn't have a job I just assumed that he stopped working there by choice, man that is too bad! We'll keep our eyes open for jobs ;)

Selena said...

That does suck Royally. How bout if we come over and cheer you up? I know 3 kids that are pretty funny!

Unknown said...

That is crazy that they just randomly closed it with no warning!!! Hopefully this just opens the door for a job he may like even better!

PS. Thanks for your comments on my blog this morning... they really made me smile. And I am glad that you liked my 'Knowing Enough' thought. There is never anyone that is ever prepared enough! You will be a great mommy :)

Luke and Mary said...

I can't believe you had no warning! That's just wrong.
I hope things look up for you (and everyone else) soon. Times are kinda scary.
But at least you have a cute new haircut to enjoy, right?

Colette said...

Facebook! That is also how I found out that my boss was quitting. What is the world coming to? Good luck Tyler.

Hey we will be in Provo on May 7th. Let's hang out. I will call you when we get closer!

Dani said...

That is unacceptable. But way to be the bread-winner. I always knew you were the richest girl in 219.

Terrific Thomas' said...

Man, that just really stinks. I mean, you can find a better job, but no one likes being let go out of the blue. It is no fun. Good luck on the job hunt!

Scottie and Angie said...

Wow that is so crazy!!!! Does he still have the reporting job for the paper??? On campus??? I am so sorry to hear that. I will pray for you and for something to turn up
angie

Lindsay Gunnell said...

I think facebook is going to run the world in a few years. Way to be a sugarmama. You are amazing and Tyler is such a fabulous person that I know something will turn up for him soon!