Saturday, July 11, 2009

And independence for all!

I love the 4th of July for two reasons. Well, there are more than two, but primarily two reasons: fireworks and seven-layer bean dip. Those are my favorites. As tradition mandates, my family always goes to the same spot on the edge of BYU campus and has a picnic and rides bikes and plays games and throw Snaps and goes on bathroom trips to the Wilk and watches fireworks from the Stadium of Fire. I love it and look forward to it every year.
This year was a lovely 4th. Tyler and I watched the parade (thanks Morales family for sharing your blanket!) and cheered for the veterans and the missionaries. We clapped politely for the city counsel and other boring parade entries. I really liked the giant balloon Madeline because my mom read those books to me when I was little. There was also a giant balloon eagle. I'd only seen those on TV at the Macy's parade so it was quite exciting.
That afternoon we went to the "spot" and hung out with family. Unfortunately, other people had gotten there early and set up camp before us so our families were separated; we'll have to correct that next year and go at like 7 in the morning to claim our rightful spot. Regardless, it was still fun and we ate seven-layer bean dip heartily.
My niece Lily was terrified by the jets that flew over the stadium and clamped onto Tyler's leg and bawled. It was very sad but very funny. She loves Tyler so much.
My nephew Calvin threw about fifty zillion snaps and thought it was the greatest thing ever. He kept yelling "fire!" when they exploded because they give off light when they break. I guess boys will be boys.
We watched the fireworks, but reportedly they got cut short because there was too much wind and the fire department had to stop them. It was a little disappointing because I had waited all year to see them, but at least we got to see them!
Independence Day is a pretty cool holiday. I like celebrating our country. We are really blessed to live where we live so it's good to have a holiday to celebrate it, especially when you accompany the holiday with fireworks and seven-layer bean dip!

4 comments:

Melanie said...

You're very welcome! Sounds like your holiday was great!

Sudar Clan said...

That was a fun post. And cute pictures! I also love those two things about the 4th!

Bear said...

This last one is a really cute picture of you two! I am coming to Utah and will have time to hang out on July 29th... will you be around?

Chantelle said...

I'm glad you had such a fun fourth! Thanks again for all your and Tyler's help and thanks for sharing part of our weekend with us...it was really fun!