So here's the glorious (and perhaps gory!) story with all the details:
Wednesday, December 30th I left work early to go to a doctor's appointment. I'd been feeling pretty miserable and huge the past two days, and it seemed no matter what I did I was not comfortable. Driving to the doctor's I actually had a contraction but didn't know what it was--I thought it was all part of pregnancy uncomfortableness. Tyler and I got to the doctor and he checked me and I was dilated to a 2+. He wouldn't quite call me a 3--so I was a 2+. The doctor said to make an appointment for the next week (which was my due date--January 6th) and if we hadn't had the baby by the following week, they'd induce.
Tyler and I had planned a little New Year's Eve party and invited a few friends over to celebrate 2010, so we headed to the store to pick up snacks and treats. We went to Honeybaked Ham and bought a big huge ham, and then went to Buy Low to get a bunch of groceries. I was pushing the cart and every few minutes I'd have to stop because I couldn't move and I couldn't breathe, and then it would pass and we'd keep going down the aisle. I thought they were contractions, but I wasn't sure so we just kept shopping. Plus I was certain this little guy wasn't coming until January!
We came home and I laid on the couch while Tyler took care of everything else. He put away all the groceries, finished some things in the baby's room, made dinner, and did laundry (we hadn't washed any of the baby's clothes so we decided we better--just in case!). My contractions got more painful and more frequent, but I still was a little unsure because they didn't meet the "criteria" of labor according to What to Expect When You're Expecting. They were very consistent, just not very long. So every 3-5 minutes I'd suffer through 20-30 second contractions not knowing if I was really in labor. My sister-in-law called and after hearing me not be able to talk through a contraction, she told me to go to the hospital! We kind of bummed around for a little longer (I wanted to labor at home more than at the hospital) and ended up heading to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center about midnight.
After checking in, the nurse checked me and I was still only dilated to a 2. She said, "I know you're going to hate me, but we have to prove that you're having this baby! I have no doubt this baby is coming." but I had to be at least a 3 to stay. So I continued having contractions for another hour and they were AWFUL. I labored in my back and I was so miserable. I'd been thinking about going au naturel delivering this baby because I wanted to know what labor was like, but as the contractions got worse I knew that an epidural was for me! The nurse checked me again and fortunately I was a 3 by then and I got the epidural. Up to that point, I'd been holding the tears in but the anesthesiologist was rough and not nice and I just started bawling. Probably not the best time to be shaking from crying when you're getting a needle poked in your spine, but everything went well and I felt much better after it kicked in. That was about 1:30 in the morning.
Tyler and I tried to get some sleep and by 6 am I was dilated to a 10 and ready for this baby to come! My epidural had worn off a little so I could feel my contractions and know when to push. I started pushing, and although baby was right down where he needed to be, he was face-up, which is not how he was supposed to be. I pushed for two hours, but his little head would just not go under my pelvic bone! The doctor tried to turn him but it didn't work. We came to the decision that forceps would get baby out, and I was all for baby coming out! About 15 minutes later and two more times pushing, Baby Quong made his debut in the world at 8:38 am.
We celebrated New Year's Eve as a little family by sleeping. All of us were exhausted! We thought it was a great way to bring in the new year! And yes, you don't have to say it--Greyson is a tax write-off, he made it just in time. But we wanted him to come when he wanted too--taxes or not! We're just happy he's here.

14 comments:
Hooray! I wish I could come and hold little baby Greyson. He is so adorable. I bet you're already a pro at being a mom. Thanks for the update--I loved reading every minute.
I'm so glad you posted all the details! I didn't get the chance to ask you all about it! He is just sooo cute, and we all loved his full head of hair!
very sweet. we are so glad that he is a part of our family too. Can't wait to meet him in a week! And, I'm so happy you got the epidural-they are heaven sent for sure :)
yay! Congrats! You all look so great as a little family.
What a well told story! My poor dear, I'm so sorry you had such a rough time of it beforehand! That made me sad to hear your anesthesiologist wasn't very nice to you. ): But I'm so glad you made it through all that and had a healthy boy! Hooray for you because you are a MOM!
I am soo happy you updated your blog! I've been checking every day :D Lady, I'm just tickled pink that you and Tyler are parents. Greyson is the most handsome little baby and I couldn't be happier for you. Lots of love!! Miss you :)
Congratulations! He is beautiful, you look fantastic for what you just went through, and I love his name! Hope the weeks since his birth have been just as rewarding.
Congratulations, he is beautiful. I absolutely love the name. It's perfect. Take care and best wishes.
What a sweet post. I loved hearing all the details!!! He is so cute and I love the name Greyson too. Fun to see pics too. SO happy for you guys!!!
Good job, Dominique! I wish I could see you as a mom. hopefully someday.
YAY! I almost gave up on you posting pictures of your beautiful baby. Congratulations. I hope you and Tyler and getting some sleep, I know that can be hard. Greyson is adorable. I want to meet him.
Congrats, you guys. We wish you the best.
Yeah!!! Congrats! I hope all is going well for you. What a beautiful baby!
Congratulations! He is absolutely darling. Glad everything worked out okay during your labor! Hope everything continues to go well!
Post a Comment