Monday, March 12, 2012

A Parenting Achievement

Since Greyson was a tiny baby, he has not been a good sleeper.  We struggled and struggled with getting him to go to sleep, and then with getting him to stay asleep for more than 45 minutes.  Every kid has their "thing", and Greyson's was sleeping.
I remember when he was still really little (maybe 3 or 4 months old) and Tyler was working in Sandy at 6 am so he got up at 4:30 to be to work, and I got up at 5:30 in order to have both of us ready, fed, to the babysitter grandma's house and to work by 8.  That little boy would NOT go to bed before midnight.  I tried everything, but it was a fight every single night.  I would dread putting him down for a nap or for the night because it was just miserable.  So much time was spent trying to convince that little man to sleep by very exhausted parents. 
There have been improvements and things have gotten much better since he was a baby, but we used to have to lie down with him until he fell asleep for naps, and we'd have to stay in his room until he fell asleep at night (which was sometimes 10 minutes and sometimes 50).  He finally got to the point where he would take naps by himself, and I knew something had to change at night so I wasn't spending an hour waiting for him to fall asleep every night.  After about a week of him crying and crying and me being the mean mom, Greyson will go to sleep by himself in his crib.  It is nothing short of a miracle! 
Bedtime is not the worst part of the night anymore.  We have our routine and he might hang out and talk for a bit in his crib, but he goes to sleep by himself.  I don't have to stay in his room or rock him or adjust his blankets every time he moves.  I feel like I have gained so much time at night because it's so much less effort to put him to bed!
Any parent can understand this is truly an achievement. :)

No comments: